Everytime I approach anything that involves 40 days, I can’t help but remember Moses. 40 days, 40 nights. Jesus fasted and was tempted in the wilderness for 40 days. The number 40 has biblical significance. So knowing that, I study why? I know the point of these entries is to log my daily food and exercise as I prepare for my first marathon. But on a whole, the big picture, is that life is also a marathon and I need to learn along the way.
Forty ultimately represents a period of testing and in the bible, from Old Testament to New Testament, it always ends with a period of renewal. Interestingly enough, the Saturday night’s half-marathon was a significant period of testing and I am hopeful and thankful that there is a promise of renewal at the end. Life lesson #39 – after every season of trial, there comes a season of revival.
Weight. 7:15am – 173. 10:30am – 171.5.
- 7:30am – Herbalife Formula 1 French Vanilla Protein Shake. 5 oz of Healthy Balance Apple Juice, 1 cup of raw cabbage, 1/2 cup of Costco Organic Frozen Blueberries, 4 large Costco strawberries, and 1/2 frozen banana. 2 scoops of Formula 1 and 2 scoops of Herbalife Personalized Protein Powder. Rather than a straw, used a spoon because I added 1 tbs of Diamond chopped walnuts.
- 11:30am – Chipotle leftover veggie fajita burrito bowl. Guac and sour cream on the side. Finished 4 ounces of Herbalife shake from this morning as well. My wife is on vacation and I’m not accustomed to making a single serving shake.
- 3:30pm – 1 cup of Honey Nut Cheerios with 1 cup of Blue Diamond almond milk.
- 5:15pm – Chinese food. 1 1/2 servings of general sesame tofu with steamed broccoli. 1 serving of steamed broccoli. 1 serving of vegetable chow mein.
- 9:45pm – Nestle Drumstick
- 5 continuous sets, no rest between, shoulders, biceps, and chest
- Chest. Floor dumbbell presses. (1 set 15 reps, remaining 14 reps). Started at 35 to warm up with 15 reps. Then 40, 45, 50, 60. Even 60 is very doable. It is just the first movement to get the weights off the floor to press position. I would be able to do 80 pounds, given the right spot.
- Shoulders. (16 reps each set — used bands). 5 sets of standard “V” presses in a controlled movement.
- Biceps. (16 reps each set).
- 1st set (static arm curls 20 lbs)
- 2nd set (in-and-out curls 22.5 lbs)
- 3rd set (one arm concentration curls 25 lbs)
- 4th set (one arm concentration curls 25 lbs)
- 5th set (in-and-out curls 25 lbs)
Two weeks ago, I wasn’t able to use weights for bicep exercises due to pain in my right shoulder. Measurable progress in the range of motion. Why? Physical therapy appears to be helping, but it has only been 3 hospital sessions. It is the home sessions that are reaping the biggest benefits — I have been forcing my range of motion to a point of high pain levels, but from what I was told, I can’t do any more damage. I’m no where near my peaks of P90X weights, but pressing towards those.
- Walked to dinner. This 6-minute walk will make a difference. I learned this trick during my last Hawaiian vacation. Walk to and from the restaurant and you can have appetizers and desserts … in somewhat of a moderation too!